This clerkship is offered at Mayo Clinic Scottsdale and its affiliated Ambulatory Surgery Center. Students work directly with staff consultants in both the outpatient clinic and the outpatient Ambulatory Surgery Center.
- Develop basic skills in generating gynecologic-specific histories and performing physical examinations.
- Acquire knowledge about screening techniques and workups for gynecologic malignancies.
- Gain extensive experience in the evaluation and treatment of benign gynecologic conditions, including hormone-related problems involving premenopausal and postmenopausal patients.
- Gain exposure to gynecologic office procedures, including breast aspiration, colposcopy, biopsy techniques and endometrial sampling.
- Assist with loop electrical excisions of the transformation zone, loop conizations, hysteroscopies and D&Cs.
In the outpatient clinic students have abundant opportunities to take histories and perform physical examinations. After reviewing each case with the consultant, students assist in ordering tests and procedures and performing office gynecologic procedures. Students are present when patients return at the report consultation, when applicable. They also scrub for outpatient gynecologic operations. Students are not required to take on-call duty. They present one informal teaching session to the OB/GYN staff on a topic of their choice.
Method of evaluation
The evaluation is based on students' motivation and progress in assimilating pertinent information and arriving at working diagnoses.