The Preliminary Surgery Residency at Mayo Clinic Arizona is designated for the Urology Program at Mayo Clinic Arizona. If you apply for this preliminary year, you must also apply to its Urology Residency Program.
Appointments for Mayo Clinic's General Surgery Residency are made through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
Applicants must be in good standing in their fourth year of medical school or must have successfully graduated from medical school prior to the match.
General Admissions Requirements
This residency is open to U.S. citizens, permanent U.S. immigrants and international applicants as follows:
- Prospective residents and fellows must be qualified graduates of accredited U.S. and Canadian medical schools.
- Graduates from medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates to qualify for admission. Information about certification and visa sponsorship, if required, is available from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- Mayo supports ECFMG J-1 visa sponsorship for residents and fellows enrolled in graduate medical education. Mayo will support an H-1B temporary work visa under the following circumstances:
- When J-1 visa sponsorship is unavailable — that is, the program is not eligible for ECFMG certification.
- When a foreign national is a graduate of U.S. medical school.
- When a foreign national holds current H-1B status for graduate medical education at another school.
- A pre-admission health review and current immunization record are required prior to starting a Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education program.
- Prospective residents and fellows must pass a criminal background check and drug screening.
Appointments are confirmed in a formal written letter of appointment from Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education. This letter, a copy of which you will be asked to sign and return, constitutes your formal residency appointment to Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education.
Resident & Fellow Policies