Program description

The Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Residency at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, offers three years of comprehensive pediatric training in:

  • Community ambulatory pediatrics
  • Care of hospitalized children and adolescents
  • Evaluation and treatment of acute and emergent medical conditions in children and adolescents
  • Neonatal and pediatric intensive care
  • Delivery room and newborn infant management
  • All pediatric subspecialties

You follow a curriculum that emphasizes the core skills and knowledge necessary to become a competent general pediatric physician, but you also are given autonomy to customize your learning for a projected subspecialty fellowship.

In the first year, as a PL-1 resident, you are introduced to the fundamentals of pediatrics. You develop skills and knowledge necessary to manage common and complex medical conditions encountered in the hospital, delivery room, neonatal intensive care unit and outpatient practice.

In the second year, as a PL-2 resident, you expand your skills of independent management of patients and begin to develop supervisory skills necessary to lead a medical team.

In the third year, as a PL-3 resident, you gain expertise in supervising and directing a medical team. The development of independent decision-making skills is emphasized through leading junior residents and medical students in the hospital, outpatient clinic, intensive care unit and emergency department.


The Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Residency is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.


Every resident who has successfully completed the Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Residency has been eligible for American Board of Pediatrics certification.

Program history

The Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Residency began in 1921, and since then, more than 700 physicians have completed training. Currently, the residency trains 12 categorical pediatric and two pediatrics-child neurology residents each year in the PL-1 and PL-2 classes and 12 categorical pediatric residents each year in the PL-3 class, for a total of 40 residents in the program.

Graduate outcomes

The most important indicator of the success of a training program is found in the outcomes of the graduates upon completion of their training. Approximately 60 percent of our residency graduates have entered subspecialty training, while the other 40 percent have gone on to primary care positions. Graduates consistently find that Mayo Clinic's reputation opens the door to a wide array of opportunities.

Aug. 25, 2014