There are four positions available on a competitive basis each year at the first postgraduate year (PGY-1) level in the Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency.
How to apply
You must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
The application and all supporting documentation must be submitted by Oct. 19 of the year preceding the program start date. The academic year begins in July.
Please note that both components of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 2 must be passed by April 1 of the current academic year to ensure eligibility in this residency by July 1.
- To apply to the program, visit the ERAS website. All applications to Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education programs must include these application materials.
- Appointments are made through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Candidates must register through the NRMP website.
Applicants considered for an appointment will be invited to visit Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, for a personal interview with the program director and selected faculty. Interviews are conducted early November through mid-December.
The decision to invite an applicant for a required interview will be based on the following combination of criteria:
- USMLE scores, Step 1 and Step 2 (if available) using the three-digit score; scores of 200 or higher are encouraged
- Medical school and reputation
- Medical school transcript
- Medical school curriculum that encompasses adequate clinical experience
- Dean's letter and letters of recommendation
- Research and extracurricular activities
- Personal statement
- Visas: ECFMG-certified J-1 visas
- The interview process will consist of:
- Detailed review of the program
- Panel interviews with select obstetrics and gynecology staff and interview with program director
- Tour of facilities
- Evening dinner and open discussion with current residents in the program
Sept. 12, 2016