To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have completed the requisite training in Infectious Diseases (2- or 3-year training).
- Be certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in Infectious Diseases or Board eligible and hold a valid certification in Infectious Diseases.
- Demonstrate clinical competence in the care of patients in accordance of ACGME competencies.
- Demonstrate evidence towards scholarship and research.
General Admissions Requirements
Medical fellowships are open to U.S. citizens, permanent U.S. immigrants and international applicants as follows:
- Graduates from medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates to qualify for admission. Information about certification and visa sponsorship, if required, is available from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- Mayo supports ECFMG J-1 visa sponsorship for fellows enrolled in graduate medical education. Mayo will support an H-1B temporary work visa under the following circumstances:
- When J-1 visa sponsorship is unavailable – that is, the program is not eligible for ECFMG certification or the program is non-ACGME accredited and non-ABMS recognized.
- When a foreign national is a graduate of U.S. medical school.
- When a foreign national holds current H-1B status for graduate medical education at another school.
- When applying, all fellowship applicants must have their medical school transcripts, together with an original letter from the school's dean, sent from their medical school to Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education.
- All applicable licensure eligibility requirements must be fulfilled prior to starting a Mayo fellowship program.
- A pre-admission health review and current immunization record are required prior to starting a Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education program.
- Prospective fellows must pass a criminal background check and drug screening.
Appointments are confirmed in a formal written letter of appointment from Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education. This letter, a copy of which you will be asked to sign and return, constitutes your formal fellowship appointment to Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education.
Resident and Fellow Policies