The Department of Family Medicine at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, offers eight PGY-1 positions each year in the Family Medicine Residency.
Applicants must have graduated from medical school after July 1 within three years of the anticipated residency start year. For example, an applicant applying to begin residency on July 1, 2016, should have graduated from medical school after July 1, 2013.
How to apply
You must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). This can be done through your medical school dean's office.
The application and all supporting documentation must be submitted by Dec. 31 of the year preceding the appointment date. The academic year begins in July.
- To apply to the program, visit the ERAS website. All applications to Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education programs must include these application materials. Note that:
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) scores must be provided with the application in order to be considered.
- One of your letters of recommendation must be from a practicing family physician.
- All appointments are made through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Candidates must register through the NRMP website.
Personal interviews are by invitation only and are based on the applicant's academic performance, USMLE scores*, letters of recommendation and other accomplishments as detailed in the ERAS application.
Interviews are conducted on selected dates between mid-November and late January. If selected for an interview, applicants will be notified by email. We regret that we are unable to provide applicants with a status report regarding their application or selection for an interview.
*U.S. applicants: Please schedule USMLE exams and report your USMLE Step 1 and USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) and Clinical Skills (CS) scores to ensure that we can download results of these exams prior to the NRMP rank list deadline in mid-February.
Also see application details:
International medical graduates
International medical graduates must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Information about certification and visa sponsorship is available from:
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- 3624 Market St.
- Philadelphia, PA 19104-2685
International medical graduates are sponsored primarily on J-1 visas.
Aug. 11, 2015