To apply to this program, you must be a graduate of an accredited American or Canadian school of dentistry and be eligible for licensure in the State of Minnesota.
Once appointed to a Mayo graduate medical education program, residents must obtain a Minnesota Resident License or a Minnesota Dental License. Information regarding the application process for these licenses will be provided once an appointment is made.
General Admissions Requirements
Dental specialty residencies are open to U.S. citizens, permanent U.S. immigrants and international applicants as follows:
- Dental specialty residencies are open to qualified graduates of approved U.S. and Canadian dental schools.
- Mayo supports ECFMG J-1 visa sponsorship for residents enrolled in graduate medical education. Mayo will support an H-1B temporary work visa under the following circumstances:
- When J-1 visa sponsorship is unavailable – that is, the program is not eligible for ECFMG certification or the program is non-ACGME accredited and non-ABMS recognized
- When a foreign national is a graduate of U.S. medical school
- When a foreign national holds current H-1B status for graduate medical education at another school
- When applying, all residency applicants must have their dental school transcripts, together with an original letter from the school's dean, sent from their school to Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education.
- All applicable licensure eligibility requirements must be fulfilled prior to starting a Mayo residency program.
- A pre-admission health review and current immunization record are required prior to starting an Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education program.
- Prospective residents must pass a criminal background check and drug screening.
Appointments are confirmed in a formal written letter of appointment from Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education. This letter, a copy of which you will be asked to sign and return, constitutes your formal residency appointment to Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education.
Resident and Fellow Policies