Eighteen positions are available on a competitive basis each year in the Anesthesiology Residency at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
There are two pathways:
- Categorical anesthesiology. Twelve residents enter the categorical program each year, completing an internship in preliminary internal medicine at Mayo Clinic.
- Advanced anesthesiology. Six residents enter the advanced program after completing an internship at another institution.
How to apply
The application and all supporting documentation must be submitted by Oct. 15 of the year preceding the program start date. The academic year begins July 1.
You must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
- Visit the ERAS website. All applications to Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education programs must include these application materials. Applicants should submit at least one letter of recommendation from an anesthesiology faculty member and two from other core clerkship rotations or research experiences.
- Appointments are made through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Candidates must register through the NRMP website in addition to applying through ERAS.
- Applicants considered for an appointment will be invited to visit Mayo Clinic for a personal interview with the program director and selected faculty. Interviews are conducted between October and December each year.
What to expect on your interview day:
- Eight applicants are interviewed each day.
- The night before your interview, you are invited to dinner with several current residents. If you are traveling with a significant other, he or she is encouraged to attend the dinner with you.
- The interview day begins the following morning at 7:30.
- The program director gives a brief overview of the residency.
- You will interview with the program director, two faculty members and one chief resident.
- Applicants are treated to lunch with several residents in the hospital cafeteria.
- A current resident will take you on a tour of the Mayo Clinic campus.
- The interview day concludes by 3 p.m.
June 24, 2017