Before you start residency or fellowship training, you'll take part in an orientation program that will introduce you to Mayo Clinic and Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education.
We look forward to meeting you and feel confident that the training you will receive will be enjoyable and rewarding. Before your arrival, there are several tasks that need to be completed.
- Men. Suit, sport coat, dress pants, dress shirt and tie, sweater.
- Women. Suit, blazer or jacket, dress pants or skirt, dress, blouse or shirt. (A jacket should be worn with sleeveless attire.)
Before arriving for orientation
- Complete a health review. You are expected to complete a pre-employment physical evaluation and drug screen with Occupational Medicine at Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix a minimum of one week prior to your first day of orientation.
- Complete a national background study. The background study must be completed online within 48 hours from the time you receive an email about it from Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education, unless you do not have a Social Security number or U.S. address. This information will be included with your MedHub onboarding.
- Contact Provider Enrollment by April 20.
- If you have a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number, email it to Arizona Provider Enrollment. If you do not know your NPI number, you can look it up by first and last name on the NPI registry. All trainees are required to have an NPI number.
- If you do not have an NPI number, apply for one using the NPI instructions. When you are assigned an NPI number, email it to Arizona Provider Enrollment. (If you do not have a Social Security Number, you cannot apply for an NPI number. Complete these instructions once you have your Social Security number.)
- Provider Enrollment will contact you by mid-May to complete additional government provider enrollment applications.
- Obtain life-support certifications. Both Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) and Basic Life Support (BLS) certifications are required before you begin your training program. We strongly encourage you to obtain both before orientation. Email signed copies of your current verification card to email@example.com.
- Request your preferred name for your Mayo Clinic ID badge. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name as you would like it to appear on your ID badge. For example, your legal name could be Christopher Smith, M.D., but you might want Chris Smith, M.D., on your badge.
- Have your photo taken. You are required to have your portrait taken before starting your training program. Plan to have this done in conjunction with your occupational health assessment.
- Inform us about special needs. If you have special needs, whether for a sign language interpreter, wheelchair access, other accessibility aids, or special dietary needs, such as vegetarian or gluten-free, contact us at email@example.com.
Bring to orientation
- Proof of identity and employment eligibility. From the lists of acceptable documents, bring two documents that establish identity and at least one document that establishes employment authorization.
- Social Security card. If you have misplaced your card or need to update it due to a name change, follow these guidelines. International residents and fellows without a Social Security number should wait for instructions from the Legal Department-Immigration Specialist Team regarding the application for a Social Security card at your assigned Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education orientation.
May 02, 2017