Receive the best training available
When you train at Mayo Clinic, you:
- Train directly with world-renowned faculty. As a resident or fellow, you receive hands-on training and mentoring directly from Mayo Clinic faculty, many who are leaders in their fields. These faculty members share the breadth of their expertise with you and ensure that you receive the highest quality clinical training.
- Receive a comprehensive clinical experience within your specialty. You learn to evaluate and treat patients with the full spectrum of diseases within your field, from the rare conditions to the more common cases. The depth and breadth of the training that you receive at Mayo Clinic prepares you for a successful medical career.
- Gain an appreciation for the team approach to patient care. At Mayo Clinic, "team approach" is not just a saying. It is a way of practicing medicine and caring for patients every day. As a Mayo trainee, you learn how to work well with physicians and allied health professionals from multiple disciplines in order to provide the best patient care.
- Learn to deliver compassionate, high-quality patient care. You work in an environment where patients and their family members are treated with the highest respect and dignity. You learn how to provide outstanding care to patients with diverse backgrounds and needs.
Have the opportunity to conduct clinical, basic science and translational research. As a Mayo Clinic trainee, you have access to outstanding, unparalleled clinical and research resources, either as a participant in the Clinician-Investigator Training Program or as part of your clinical rotations with faculty and advisers.
Mayo Clinic's vast electronic medical records from more than 6 million patients enable you to conduct retrospective studies with high statistical significance. Or you can choose to work with one of the many basic science or translational researchers and see firsthand how researchers and physicians collaborate to apply research findings to patient care.
Develop your skills using outstanding educational resources. During your training, you have access to superior education resources, including hands-on training in the Mayo Clinic Multidisciplinary Simulation Centers, access to publications through Mayo Clinic Libraries, and assistance in writing and submitting manuscripts through the Section of Scientific Publications.
In addition, our curriculum will provide you with continuous performance feedback, and our courses help to prepare you for the board certification examinations in your specialty.
- Serve minority or underserved patient populations. As a trainee, you join the long-standing tradition of providing community service and have the opportunity to participate in the Mayo International Health Program or volunteer with minority or underserved populations within one of the Mayo campus communities.
- Benefit from career guidance and networking opportunities. As a Mayo Clinic resident or fellow, you receive career guidance from faculty and advisers and learn about educational and career opportunities both within Mayo Clinic and at other institutions. Mayo Clinic's extensive alumni network also provides an excellent resource for obtaining educational and career opportunities.
Gain an understanding of the health care environment and effective practice management strategies. The Mayo Clinic Robert D. and Patricia E. Kern Center for the Science of Health Care Delivery is a leading innovator in developing efficient and effective systems for delivering safe, high-quality health care for every patient.
This center's research activities, along with the expertise of Mayo Clinic faculty, serve as an excellent resource for all trainees. Woven throughout their clinical and research rotations, trainees learn about the components of an effective health care system, key practice management strategies and how to successfully adapt to the changing landscape of the health care environment.
Together, these experiences provide outstanding preparation for a challenging and rewarding career in medicine.
Achieve your goals
We are proud to contribute to the success of the outstanding residents and fellows who complete their training each year at Mayo Clinic.
Most Mayo Clinic residents and fellows pass the board certification exam for their medical or surgical specialty on their first attempt, and 95 percent of Mayo training programs are above the national average in board passage rates.
March 14, 2017