Student Success Coaching
Our students come first
For students seeking support, we provide many services to help students become successful both inside and outside of the classroom. Following closely in the footsteps of Mayo Clinic's primary value — the needs of the patient come first — success coaching focuses on you, the student.
Our goal is to help every learner be successful. We strive to make our partnership accessible and enriching, taking the demands of your student life into consideration.
Our services are available to all students in the five schools within the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine at all Mayo Clinic campuses. Students seeking support work with a coach to identify needs and establish individualized short-term and long-term action plans promoting academic, personal and career accomplishment.
Additionally, coaching includes support and encouragement. Learners may need support for emotional issues or learning differences, at which times students are referred to appropriate resources.
Students may contact us to receive support for:
- Time management
- Learning and reading strategies
- Study skills and test preparation
- Creating and maintaining effective study groups
- Stress management
- Writing and proofreading
- Learning differences
- Peer tutoring
- Job search assistance, including creating and editing resumes, CVs, personal statements and cover letters, as well as developing interview skills
Individual, small group and workshop sessions are available and are offered at all campuses. Individual contacts are made in person, over the phone, and through teleconference or email. You may personally request services or may be referred by program faculty.
Coaching does not include course content-specific support. Peer tutors are available, and students who experience difficulty will be referred to a tutor or program faculty for assistance.
Our elite educational opportunities are uniquely challenging. For many students, managing the overall transition to a new environment, demanding academic expectations as well as personal adjustments can truly test confidence and motivation. Coaching empowers students by identifying and working through challenges with ownership and provides a firm foundation for success.
Peer tutors are available in a variety of content areas. With approval from a course leader, interested students may complete an online request form to be appropriately matched with a tutor. Our tutors are selected and hired by Mayo Clinic and participate in a tutoring orientation with a student success coach prior to working with students.
Tutoring services are free to all students enrolled in one of the five schools within the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine.
Many students have used our services to support their academic, personal and career accomplishments:
- "We talked and were able to discuss things in what I felt was a friendly, nonjudgmental environment."
- "I thought my visit was very helpful, and I would definitely go back again. I appreciate that there is an option like this to get help throughout my program."
- "(My coach) was awesome, so helpful with my paper and was easy to work with. I have recommended my other classmates to meet with her if they had any problems."
- "The student success coach is a very helpful resource for me as I relearned better study techniques that helped improve my grade."
- "I felt that I was more prepared for my upcoming exams because I utilized my time more efficiently and studied the material in an improved manner."
- "Went from getting a low C to a concrete B!"