Pharmacy Research Services provides oversight and direction for use of investigational medications in the Clinical Research Units and throughout the clinic facilities in Rochester, Minn.
The research pharmacies promote patient safety, regulatory compliance and safe conduct of human research with protocols involving investigational drugs — and also provide expert consultation to investigators. Additionally, dedicated research-trained pharmacists and pharmacy technicians share responsibility for facilitating investigational drug utilization and for providing the safest, most up-to-date care for patients participating in research studies.
Two investigational pharmacies support clinical research for hospitalized patients and hospital-based outpatients:
- The John and Lou Georges' Research Pharmacy provides pharmaceutical support for the Mayo Clinic Hospital, Saint Marys Campus CRU; Mobile CRU; Mayo Clinic Hospital, Saint Marys Campus; and hospital-based outpatient areas.
- The Mayo Clinic Hospital, Methodist Campus Research Pharmacy provides pharmaceutical support to the Charlton CRU; Mobile CRU; Mayo Clinic Hospital, Methodist Campus; and hospital-based outpatient areas.
Pharmacy Research Services include:
- Expert consultation to investigators on medication-related issues
- Protocols for pharmacy dispensing of investigational drugs
- Preparation and dispensing of investigational medications including compounded sterile products
- Preparation of pharmacy budgets
- Service as a resource for investigational drug-related questions
- Maintenance of drug inventory, accountability documentation and study blinding
- Support for study monitor visits and for audits
- Research pharmacy tours for study site selection visits
Christine Formea, Pharm.D., R.Ph.