Predoctoral Programs Committee
The Center for Translational Science Activities (CTSA) Predoctoral Programs Committee oversees all aspects of program administration of the clinical and translational science tracks in the Ph.D. and M.D.-Ph.D. programs, the development and implementation of the clinical research curriculum in Mayo Medical School (MMS) and the University of Puerto Rico (UPR) School of Medicine, and the short-term research awards for Mayo and UPR medical students.
Ph.D. and M.D.-Ph.D. programs
- Developing and implementing all aspects of the Ph.D. and M.D.-Ph.D. track in clinical and translational science in close collaboration with Mayo Graduate School (MGS)
- Serving on the MGS Admissions Committee and developing the criteria for the recruitment and selection of Ph.D. and M.D.-Ph.D. scholars in the clinical and translational science track
- Reviewing and approving Ph.D. scholars' thesis proposals, thesis advisory committees, degree program forms and theses
- Tracking and reporting the academic progress of each Ph.D. scholar through program completion, including oversight of the Written Qualifying Examination, Oral Qualifying Examination and Final Oral Examination
Medical student initiatives
- Overseeing the selection and scheduling of the practical research experiences for MMS and UPR medical students in close collaboration with MMS and UPR School of Medicine
- Reviewing and approving scholars' research protocols and manuscripts for the MMS and UPR research experiences
- Developing and implementing the clinical research course for first-year medical students in collaboration with the administration of MMS and UPR School of Medicine
- Tracking and reporting outcomes of the medical student research experiences
- Identifying curricular needs of the Ph.D. and medical student programs and collaborating with the CTSA Curriculum Subcommittee to develop and implement the curriculum
- Developing a recruitment and communications plan with support from the CTSA Education Resources communications consultant
- Evaluating the medical student and Ph.D. programs and practical research experiences, including program processes and scholar outcomes
The CTSA Predoctoral Programs Committee meets the fourth Monday of each month and reports to the CTSA Education Resources Executive Committee. It provides representation on the CTSA Curriculum Subcommittee, and the chair of this committee is a member of the CTSA Education Resources Executive Committee and the Mayo Graduate School Education Committee. This committee also works in collaboration with MMS, MGS and UPR School of Medicine.
- Anthony J. Windebank, M.D.
- Director, CTSA Predoctoral Programs
- Nirusha Lachman, Ph.D.
- Clemente Diaz, M.D.
- UPR Representative
- Thomas P. Olson, Ph.D
- Stephen C. Ekker, Ph.D.
- Christopher K. Pierret, Ph.D
- Katrin R. Frimannsdottir, Ph.D.
- Ad Hoc Member
- Lewis R. Roberts, M.B., Ch.B., Ph.D.
- Joseph P. Grande, M.D., Ph.D.
- MMS Associate Dean
- Scott M. Thompson
- Student Representative
- Keith L. Knutson, Ph.D.
- Laurel (Lori) A. Carlson
- Coordinator, Research Operations
- Carmen J. Tapia
- Education Coordinator
- Debra J. Driscoll
- Administrative Assistant
- Karen M. Weavers
- Manager, Research Operations