Internal Medicine & Subspecialties
An Overview of Perioperative Medicine 2012: From Outpatient Preoperative Assessment to Inpatient Postoperative Care
October 24 -
2012 - Swissotel, Chicago, IL
Upon conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Apply a systematic approach to guide preoperative assessment.
- Recommend appropriate perioperative cardiac testing using the current ACC / AHA guidelines and risk calculators.
- Manage anticoagulants and antiplatelet agents in the perioperative setting.
- Discuss the management of the new oral anticoagulants in the perioperative setting.
- Assess risk factors for postoperative pulmonary complications and recommend measures most effective in reducing perioperative pulmonary risk.
- Select appropriate prophylactic regimens for deep venous thrombosis in the perioperative setting based on patient risk and current guidelines.
- Recommend the appropriate continuation and discontinuation of medications and nutraceuticals in the perioperative setting.
- Assess the patient with chronic liver disease for surgery.
- Manage chronic kidney disease in the perioperative setting.
- Recognize and manage postoperative delirium.
- Identify risks and benefits of perioperative blood transfusion.
Attendance at this Mayo course does not indicate nor guarantee competence or proficiency in the performance of any procedures which may be discussed or taught in this course.